Monday, March 05, 2007

10 reasons why ubuntu is better than windows


dont get me wrong, i loved windows, i still do, but as usual its around that infamous 3 month mark when my windows machine slows to a stop and stuff stops working. right now my hard drive is sitting on my couch, all because explorer crashed everytime i opened a folder with a video in it. I tried every fix, restore, scan disk.... and nothing fixed it, and after a week i decided it was too annoying, so i'm back with ubuntu, and this time with a vengeance.

It installed in about 15 minutes and everything works this time including my TV card, although I have got a hauppauge one this time. I only had to go into the xorf.conf to fix the resolution on my 19" widescreen. but hey its not difficult. Following ubuntuguide.org I decided to give beryl a shot, its a window manager that adds loads of effects, it was really easy to install and its simply amazing! as you can see from the shots above, windows bend and wobble when you move them, and they feel much more lifelike, at first I thought it was just eye candy, but i just used my windows laptop and everything is so square, rigid and harsh. Beryl actually feels real, its soft with cool focus effects, Alt+Tabbing is easier and it makes my ubuntu box stand out, its no longer for number crunching java geeks, and the pretentious who wouldn't pirate xp. Its a real alternative to XP and Vista.

Right now my housemate has vista and we must annoy the hell out of him, because all his shared stuff is inaccessible, one minute I'm watching hero's the next i'm on msn asking him why i'm denied again, whats more now im on linux it looks like i'll never be able to access his shared folders, sounds bad but its touch and go on the other xp machines in the house.

you need to venture out into linux, its the same as XP, but guess what? no spyware, no viruses, you can try that crack in wine with no fear of a new homepage on IE for the rest of your life,

you have picassa, songbird, flashplayer 9, ipod support, utorrent, dvdshrink, they are all for linux now.
office xp works using crossover.

and whats more i'm not breaking laws, i can actually look john law in the eyes.

UBUNTU! (6.10)


No comments: